ResearchWith applied research we contribute to reliable assessment methodologies and calculation models.
Infram Hydren is active in research, in order to, for example, create generic design and assessment methods or establish starting points for a new design. We provide research knowledge and experience in exploring problems or specific measures for dike reinforcement solutions in flood risk management tasks. When suitable calculation methods are lacking, we are experts in setting up (model) research. For this purpose, we manage research resources such as the wave run-up simulator and wave overtopping simulator to carry out research, develop calculation rules and test innovations in practice.
One of our (inter)national key activities is physical research on flood defences, among other things with the simulators and our sod pulling device. In addition, we also support knowledge institutions in physical research. We translate the acquired knowledge into calculation rules and implement them together with other parties in the assessments and design specifications. We also regularly publish papers about our research. Some examples of this are shown below:
- G.J. Steendam, A. van Hoven, J. van der Meer, & G. Hoffmans, "Wave overtopping simulator tests on transitions and obstacles at grass covered slopes of dikes", ICCE2014
- R. Bijlard, G. Steendam, H. Verhagen, and J. van der Meer, “Determining the critical velocity of grass sods for wave overtopping by a grass pulling device”, ICCE2017
- G.J. Steendam, J. van der Meer, P. van Steeg, and R. Joosten, “Wave impacts at small and real scale for the stepped sloped seawall design at Den Oever", ICCE2018
- J.W. van der Meer, J.W. Nieuwenhuis, G.J. Steendam, M.J.J. Reneerkens, H.J. Steetzel, & G.Ph. van Vledder, "Wave overtopping measurements at a real dike", Coastal Structures 2019
- P. Oosterlo, B. Hofland, J.W. van der Meer, M. Overduin, & G.J. Steendam, "Calibration and preparation of field measurements of oblique wave run-up and overtopping on dikes using laser scanners", Coastal Engineering 2021
Infram Hydren has participated in the production of various videos about wave overtopping that are included on EurOtop-website. These videos provide an insight to, for example, flood defense managers regarding the actual meaning of certain quantities of overtopping.
- Technical manager
- Innovation manager